« Home | Rep. Peter King may be disappointing » | Melanie Phillips feels that Israeli hasbara is a joke » | Martin Luther King opposed jihad » | Tea Party leaders receiving death threats » | Meet Rami Levy, Zionist entrepreneur » | Ehud Barak quits Labor party and splits it up » | Tunisian dictator flees to the House of Saud » | Exposing where leftist NGOs get their funding from » | Imam Rauf is allegedly out, but problem isn't over... » | No plea bargain for honor murderer » 

Thursday, January 20, 2011 

An update on MK Chaim Amsalem

Last year, I'd mentioned Shas MK Rabbi Chaim Amsalem, who feels that yeshiva students should go to work and other steps in self-reliance, and was sadly ousted by Shas for voicing his opinions. He's come up again in the news, in a case where he defends religious conversions performed in the army:
MK Rabbi Chaim Amsalem of the hareidi-Sephardic Shas party, who is widely felt to be a party renegade, says he knew he was right all along in supporting IDF conversions to Judaism.

The latest ruling by Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, spiritual leader of Shas and of most of Sephardic Jewry in Israel, states that the soldiers who converted to Judaism in the framework of the IDF Rabbinate are “kosher.” He added, though, that future conversions should be done according to more stringent rules.

The issue of such conversions had been a controversial one of late, with many rabbis claiming that the soldiers were not planning to be religiously observant and that therefore their conversions were not valid. Rabbi Amsalem had been among the minority that stated that once a kosher Rabbinical court converts a non-Jew to Judaism, the deed cannot be undone.

The Shas party is now continuing its efforts to stymie a proposed bill by MK David Rotem – a religious member of Israel Our Home – to have such conversions recognized once and for all. Shas says that the latest ruling by Rabbi Yosef obviates the need for such legislation.

Speaking with Arutz-7, MK Rabbi Amsalem – the author of a book detailing Halakhic [Jewish legal] leniencies regarding conversion – said that many in the religious world have apologized to him over the past few days. He says he forgives all except the political leadership of Shas.

“All along,” he told Arutz-7 on Wednesday, “my position was based on Rabbi Yosef's rulings regarding conversion, which I quoted precisely. They attacked me and said I was a heretic, etc., but now everything has been overturned. Because of their attempt to stop Rotem’s bill, Rabbi Yosef came out with his letter recognizing the conversions that have been done until now. All the attacks in the Ashkenazi yeshiva world are now against Maran [Rabbi Yosef – ed.] instead of against me. I am happy to be in good company with Maran.”

“On the one hand, it’s hard for me to see how they now attack and insult Rabbi Yosef, but on the other hand, I am happy that I have been vindicated.”
I don't know if Shas has reconciled with him - they really said some nasty things about him that really shocked me - but if their spiritual mentor has recognized the conversions, then yes, I think it can only be said that Shas has given their approval to one of his positions.

But if Shas is still shunning Amsalem, that's sad, and sets a galling example. That's why I'll completely understand if he wants to join up with another party, and if he does, I hope he'll make a good choice and join another right-wing party. I do think he may be just what Israel needs to provide a positive example, and hope that he can inspire and encourage more people to take up on his beliefs.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

    avigreen2002@yahoo.com See also my collection of Link in Bio pages: Realtime Website Traffic
      telchaidrawing

      I also contribute to

    • The Astute Bloggers
    • Infidel Bloggers Alliance
    • Which also includes (open menu)

      My other sites

    • The Four Color Media Monitor
    • The Comic Book Discrimination Dossiers
    • Hawkfan
    • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
    • The Outer Observatory
    • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
    • Puzzle Paradise
    • The Co-Stars Primer
    • Cinema Capsule Cavalcade
    • Food Diner
    • News/Opinion sites (open menu)

      Writers and special activity groups (open menu)

      Media Watchdogs (open menu)

      Columnist bloggers (open menu)

      Research on terrorism (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Israel and Asia (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Europe (open menu)

      Other bloggers: American continent (open menu)

      Museum sites (open menu)

      Bloggeries Blog Directory blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine View My Stats
    • W3 Counter stats
    • eXTReMe Tracker
      Locations of visitors to this page  
      Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

Tel-Chai Nation is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.