« Home | A plan for de-Haredization » | 15-year-old girl in Nazareth was attacked with aci... » | Hugo Chavez is dead and good riddance » | Haredi radio hosts call for boycotting "settlement... » | CPAC rejects Pamela Geller » | Spanish government allows orphaned children to be ... » | The Islamization of Britain » | Shas is willing to support evacuation of "settleme... » | Shas minister admits gender segregation is a problem » | Netanyahu given 2 more weeks to form a government » 

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 

What could this blotted out advertisement have been about?


This is a picture I took with a camera phone on Sunday, March 3, 2013, in the Kiryat Yovel neighborhood in Jerusalem. It's not a Haredi neighborhood, though there are some who live in the area, and seeing this poster on a billboard across the street from Rabinovich Park that looks like it was torn and spray painted over, I wondered what it was intended for. The part that raised my eyebrows was the caption "haadarat nashim" which translates as "exclusion of women". I think it was supposed to be about a painting of some women from 1899, but it's still not clear. Was it intended as a protest of male Haredi discrimination against women? I don't know, but if it was, then someone is guilty of vandalism against free speech and the right to protest gender discrimination.

Update: I found out, thanks to other remains I spotted in the area, that it was a copy of an 1899 portrait by Paul Gauguin, Two Tahitian Women. A pretty intriguing choice for a possible protest statement.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

    avigreen2002@yahoo.com See also my collection of Link in Bio pages: Realtime Website Traffic
      telchaidrawing

      I also contribute to

    • The Astute Bloggers
    • Infidel Bloggers Alliance
    • Which also includes (open menu)

      My other sites

    • The Four Color Media Monitor
    • The Comic Book Discrimination Dossiers
    • Hawkfan
    • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
    • The Outer Observatory
    • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
    • Puzzle Paradise
    • The Co-Stars Primer
    • Cinema Capsule Cavalcade
    • Food Diner
    • News/Opinion sites (open menu)

      Writers and special activity groups (open menu)

      Media Watchdogs (open menu)

      Columnist bloggers (open menu)

      Research on terrorism (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Israel and Asia (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Europe (open menu)

      Other bloggers: American continent (open menu)

      Museum sites (open menu)

      Bloggeries Blog Directory blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine View My Stats
    • W3 Counter stats
    • eXTReMe Tracker
      Locations of visitors to this page  
      Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

Tel-Chai Nation is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.