« Home | CNN only crosses a line with "Warriors" » | NYC Muslim convert calls Korean hostages "terroris... » | 10 Kadima MKs planning to split » | Keep an eye out for these two men on a ferry » | Flying imams finally drop lawsuit against heroic J... » | Is Jonathan Demme taking Jimmy Carter's side? » | EU stops funding for Gaza electricity, but will it... » | More proof of Hamas alliance with al Qaeda » | Norway's law enforcement may be worse than Britain's » | Britain's a breeding ground for even Hamas terrorists » 

Monday, August 27, 2007 

South Florida officials told charter school to suspend Hebrew lessons

Something tells me that if this were madrassa, they wouldn't say a word. JTA tells about a shameful act in Florida:
WASHINGTON (JTA) -- Less than 48 hours after classes began at the nation's only Jewish-oriented charter school, officials in Broward County, Fla., issued a command of their own: Thou shalt not teach Hebrew, at least for the time being.

The Ben Gamla Charter School ignored the ruling for one day, then decided to cooperate with the Broward County School Board -- even though Ben Gamla's founder, former Democratic congressman Peter Deutsch, said Thursday that his Hollywood, Fla., institution is going strictly by the book.

"I had to literally run around school yesterday telling the Hebrew teachers not to teach Hebrew," Deutsch said. He insisted that there's a great deal of confusion over what is being allowed and what's not. "The school board says we don't have a contract at this point in time. We say we not only have a contract that allows us to teach Hebrew, but a contract that obligates us to teach Hebrew."

Nevertheless, Deutsch said that he and the superintendent of schools, James Notter, want exactly the same thing: a Hebrew-English curriculum with no religious content. "It can't be religious -- that would be unconstitutional," Deutsch said.
Let me see if I have this right. No religious content? Somehow, I fail to see what this has to do with it, but even if there is religious stuff involved, is there something wrong with that?

And again, what if this were an Islamic madrassa in focus here? Would the reaction be different?

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

    avigreen2002@yahoo.com See also my collection of Link in Bio pages: Realtime Website Traffic
      telchaidrawing

      I also contribute to

    • The Astute Bloggers
    • Infidel Bloggers Alliance
    • Which also includes (open menu)

      My other sites

    • The Four Color Media Monitor
    • The Comic Book Discrimination Dossiers
    • Hawkfan
    • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
    • The Outer Observatory
    • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
    • Puzzle Paradise
    • The Co-Stars Primer
    • Cinema Capsule Cavalcade
    • Food Diner
    • News/Opinion sites (open menu)

      Writers and special activity groups (open menu)

      Media Watchdogs (open menu)

      Columnist bloggers (open menu)

      Research on terrorism (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Israel and Asia (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Europe (open menu)

      Other bloggers: American continent (open menu)

      Museum sites (open menu)

      Bloggeries Blog Directory blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine View My Stats
    • W3 Counter stats
    • eXTReMe Tracker
      Locations of visitors to this page  
      Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

Tel-Chai Nation is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.