« Home | Turkey's lurch to totalitarianism » | Muslim honor murders increased under PLO this year » | 9-year old girl injured in terrorist attack at Psagot » | The myths and realities of Islamic pseudo-tolerance » | Iranians are still chanting "death to America" » | More about what the al-Madinah madrassa in Derby i... » | Girls doing the bidding of Shas prove themselves w... » | Perverts tried to profit from letter written by Ni... » | Shaked committee brings up effect of Haredi army e... » | Western Wall rabbi finally comes to senses » 

Monday, October 07, 2013 

An interesting t-shirt idea

A clothes store manager's galling experience with some Haredi nutcases led her to publish a t-shirt with a form of irony:
Tired of going out in to the streets of Jerusalem, B’nei Brak and Brooklyn seeing those posters admonishing Jewish women to dress modestly plastered on walls and billboards? Well, now you can read one somewhere else — namely, stretched out across the breasts of a woman passing by.

Thanks to the ingenuity of Jerusalem T-shirt shop owner Joanne (Rachal) Ginsberg, Jewish feminists are wearing their protest right on their chests, where it is not only ironic, but also hard to miss. Owner of HebrewTshirts and mother of seven, Ginsberg came up with the idea for the design after being harassed one hot day two summers ago in the city’s ultra-Orthodox Beit Yisrael neighborhood by three women. At the time, she was wearing her usual “Orthodox and sockless” style of dress, which includes a head scarf, long sleeves, a long skirt and sandals.

“The women had head coverings and shawls and what appeared to be wool blankets draped all over themselves accosted me in the street,” Ginsberg told The Times of Israel. “They surrounded me.. and had decided to give me a lesson in modesty.

“They said they could help me become a better Jewish woman. They could help me reach new levels of modesty. My husband would desire me more. My life will miraculously become spiritual if only I listen to them.

“I literally had an anxiety attack in the street and nearly fainted,” she continued. “They handed me some pamphlets and invited me to some secret meeting, but the first garbage bin I passed I dumped everything in.”
She did the right thing. "Secret meetings" is synonymous with "cults", and nobody with brains should ever accept such an invitation.
Ginsberg, who is a graduate of the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design, was determined the make and sell her v-neck “Daughter of Israel, Do Not Dress Provocatively” T-shirts, but she was concerned about going too public.

“I thought with that shirt in the window, I am inviting trouble. Some religious man would go crazy and stone my store,” she said. “Wisely I kept the twenty shirts neatly tucked away in a bag. I showed them to progressive Jewish women. My first sale was to a young Israeli bar tender.”

Since then, Ginsberg has printed up many more of the T-shirts and has been selling them at her store and online. She also sells them on Etsy, the e-commerce site for handmade and vintage items. There, she has posted photos of her pregnant daughter sexily modeling the T-shirt.

“There are many Jewesses that need to wear this shirt. Each with their own conversation. That mother in Beit Shemesh also deserves one,” she said referring to Hadassa Margolese, who became a reluctant feminist activist after Haredim attacked her young daughter on the way to school, accusing her of dressing immodestly.

“There are so many Jewish women living authentic Jewish lives that aren’t suffocating in wool blankets in the heat of the summer to prove how holy they are.”
It sounds like an interesting reaction to Haredi moonbats trying to promote something not unlike what you see in Saudi Arabia. If so, then I'll recommend women buying it to let the Haredis know what they think of them for being so cheapjack.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

    avigreen2002@yahoo.com See also my collection of Link in Bio pages: Realtime Website Traffic
      telchaidrawing

      I also contribute to

    • The Astute Bloggers
    • Infidel Bloggers Alliance
    • Which also includes (open menu)

      My other sites

    • The Four Color Media Monitor
    • The Comic Book Discrimination Dossiers
    • Hawkfan
    • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
    • The Outer Observatory
    • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
    • Puzzle Paradise
    • The Co-Stars Primer
    • Cinema Capsule Cavalcade
    • Food Diner
    • News/Opinion sites (open menu)

      Writers and special activity groups (open menu)

      Media Watchdogs (open menu)

      Columnist bloggers (open menu)

      Research on terrorism (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Israel and Asia (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Europe (open menu)

      Other bloggers: American continent (open menu)

      Museum sites (open menu)

      Bloggeries Blog Directory blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine View My Stats
    • W3 Counter stats
    • eXTReMe Tracker
      Locations of visitors to this page  
      Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

Tel-Chai Nation is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.