The Kiryas Joel neighborhood in Monroe, New York has had some understandable accusations of election fraud made against it before, and now, some Monroe residents have sued
after they weren't allowed to inspect a recent election there:
Alleging discrimination over not being allowed to participate as election inspectors at the village of Kiryas Joel, nine Monroe residents have sued the Orange County Board of Elections.
The suit, filed in State Supreme Court last week by attorney Michael Sussman, alleged that the decision by the Board of Elections was "arbitrary, capricious and contrary to law," including state and federal laws.
The residents include United Monroe founder and chairwoman Emily Convers, who wanted to serve as an election inspector over what she said were voting irregularites during last November's elections in the village. United Monroe has been opposed to Kiryas Joel expansion plans.
Six of the residents had originally been allowed to serve as election inspectors at Kiryas Joel in September's primary race after Convers complained to Board of Elections Commissioner Susan Bahren about election oversight at Kiryas Joel.
Claim: Inspectors assigned, then status rescinded
Sussman said his clients wanted to "reduce the possibility of fraud" during September's election.
Two days after being approved as inspectors, their inspector status was rescinded, Sussman said.
"It's a blatant constitutional violation," Sussman said. He compared the situation to not allowing white election inspectors in the city of Newburgh, which has a minority white population, he said. "This is absurd."
The difference is that here, it's discrimination against folks of non-Haredi/Satmar background. The following tells more:
Before the election, Convers released a secret recording she made of a conversation between her and Bahren over the phone regarding the decision by the Board of Elections that Convers and others in United Monroe wouldn't be allowed to serve as election inspectors at Kiryas Joel despite previously being approved as inspectors.
During the conversation, Convers attempted to pinpoint whether the County Attorney's Office interfered in the matter. Bahren relates that she had spoken with the County Attorney's Office on the matter.
Orange County Attorney Langdon Chapman responded on Wednesday by saying "the county has not even been served with this lawsuit." Chapman declined to discuss specific details until viewing the suit. "When served, we will read it and respond," he said.
Very interesting. When they refuse to let the inspectors go unfettered in their mission, that's an open signal they're hiding something. It's offensive how the Satmar community running their awful enclave have exploited many decent folks, milking them of their tax dollars. This attempt to block the 9 Monroe citizens from inspecting must be challenged.
Labels: haredi corruption, Moonbattery, New York, political corruption, United States