« Home | This year's Holocaust Memorial service had to be d... » | Turkey registers highest Coronavirus infection rat... » | Trump pans Democrats for the anti-Israeli standing... » | Coronavirus cases increase in Arabic sector of Israel » | Rioting in Mea Shearim leads to girl being struck ... » | Pakistan denies aid to Christians during Corona cr... » | The BBC is airing Islamic prayer calls, and unlike... » | In some Haredi communities, being ill with Corona ... » | Professor says Israel's dealt with Coronavirus cri... » | Liberman breached the health ministry's instructio... » 

Monday, April 20, 2020 

Debt-ridden felafel vendor becomes symbol of damaged economy

An interesting story was broadcast on Israel's 13th TV channel about a guy running a felafel store who was forced to close because of the Corona crisis, who's now become a national hero for businesses and families struck by the economic toll the crisis has had on them:
In an interview that led the primetime evening news, and moved the TV crew filming it to tears, a sobbing falafel store owner told Israeli television on Sunday that he has been devastated financially by the coronavirus crisis and can no longer feed his children.

“Look at my wallet, it’s empty,” Yuval Carmi of Ashdod told Channel 13, pulling out his wallet. “I don’t have a shekel in my pocket.”

“I’m embarrassed, from my children, to tell them I have nothing I can buy for you. I have nothing to give them. I have nothing to give them to eat
.

“I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what to do,” he said, crying and then apologizing for his tears.

The TV report described Carmi as the face of the economic devastation being wreaked in Israel by COVID-19, a man whose anguished pleas “have turned him into the symbol of the economic collapse,” Channel 13 reporter Noga Nir Neeman said. “A man who paid his taxes for years and provided honorably for himself and his family, and who, with his business in ruins, doesn’t understand why the state isn’t helping him.”

The reporter said Carmi stood quietly when the TV station’s camera crew arrived, “and just asked to be allowed to tell his story.” As they started filming, Carmi reported that a customer had just arrived, but that police had prevented him from serving him, because falafel stands, like all restaurants, are not allowed to serve customers, but only to deliver food, “and I’m not set up to do deliveries.”

He said he reopened his small store on Sunday morning, believing that the newly eased COVID-19 restrictions meant he was allowed to do so, but that police had told him he could only do deliveries. “It’s falafel,” he wept. “Falafel has to be eaten hot and fresh.”

He said he pays NIS 12,000 (some $3,500) a month in rent, but now has no more money. When he tried to order from his suppliers after the just-ended Passover festival, he said, they refused to supply him. “I have a family, I have children at home, I don’t know what to do,” he said.

Carmi said he was not looking for handouts, but merely wanted to earn an “honorable living.”

“I didn’t receive any money from the state. My whole life, I’ve paid national insurance, income tax. Everything, everything on time. I made an honorable living.”


Asked why he had not asked for a government-arranged loan, he said “It’s impossible to get hold of them.” From watching TV, “you’d think we’ve been given millions,” he said. “Not a shekel. Nothing. Nothing. I want to set myself on fire. I don’t know know what to do.
Well now, he's been fortunate to have received a special call from prime minister Netanyahu himself, who sympathizes with his plight:
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday spoke on the phone with Yuval Carmi, a falafel store owner in southern Israel whose story of financial ruin amid the pandemic turned him overnight into a symbol of the virus’ economic toll.

Carmi’s tearful account brought a Channel 13 television crew to tears and his story was covered by numerous media outlets on Sunday.

“Look at my wallet, it’s empty,” the Ashdod man said, pulling out his wallet. “I don’t have a shekel in my pocket… I’m embarrassed to face my children, to tell them I have nothing I can buy for you. I have nothing to give them. I have nothing to give them to eat. I don’t know what to do,” he said, crying and then apologizing for his tears.

“I saw you yesterday [on TV] and you touched my heart,” Netanyahu told Carmi Monday. “And I’ll help you. We’re going to help everyone. You have reached deep into my heart and the hearts of Israeli citizens.”

The prime minister acknowledged there have been difficulties in distributing state funds to businesses but promised that the government would help with bailouts.

In a video of Netanyahu taken during the phone call and distributed by his office, Carmi can be heard thanking the premier and refraining from directly placing the blame on him.

“I am not making my claims against you but against your advisers,” he said. “Apparently they are not telling you what’s going on with the people.”
What's additionally amazing is that the guy isn't blaming Netanyahu squarely for his financial woes, but rather, his advisors, and yes, it's possible to argue some advisors don't have what it takes to get everything across. I hope the guy will now get what he needs to stand himself financially erect again, and eventually reopen his business normally. I sometimes eat felafel myself, and like it with purple cabbage and French fries added. I hope he'll be able to continue normally in business as soon as possible.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

    avigreen2002@yahoo.com See also my collection of Link in Bio pages: Realtime Website Traffic
      telchaidrawing

      I also contribute to

    • The Astute Bloggers
    • Infidel Bloggers Alliance
    • Which also includes (open menu)

      My other sites

    • The Four Color Media Monitor
    • The Comic Book Discrimination Dossiers
    • Hawkfan
    • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
    • The Outer Observatory
    • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
    • Puzzle Paradise
    • The Co-Stars Primer
    • Cinema Capsule Cavalcade
    • Food Diner
    • News/Opinion sites (open menu)

      Writers and special activity groups (open menu)

      Media Watchdogs (open menu)

      Columnist bloggers (open menu)

      Research on terrorism (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Israel and Asia (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Europe (open menu)

      Other bloggers: American continent (open menu)

      Museum sites (open menu)

      Bloggeries Blog Directory blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine View My Stats
    • W3 Counter stats
    • eXTReMe Tracker
      Locations of visitors to this page  
      Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

Tel-Chai Nation is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.