« Home | Mother of 6 murdered right in front of her children » | British chief rabbi supports teaching Islam in sch... » | Sweden's foreign minister attacks Israel, gets int... » | Why wasn't Robert Levinson among the US prisoners ... » | Haredi school in London ordered shut for failure t... » | Jihadists in Burkina Faso » | Chief rabbinate should be dissolved » | Another legal petition to remove illegal "modesty ... » | Ayelet Shaked condemns leftists who ignored Ezra Nawi » | Democrat senator's guest at SOTU conference is ant... » 

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 

The chilling traces of Cosby's biases, in some of his past works

I found this Time article recently about one of the entries in disgraced "comedian" Bill Cosby's series of children's books called Little Bill, this one called "My Big Lie". I knew vaguely about this series if only because it was adapted into an animated TV cartoon in the early 2000s, and after Cosby's whole rape scandal made headlines, it's pretty clear it won't retain much of the value it may have once had. Here's a description:
To anyone familiar with the allegations surrounding Bill Cosby, the book is a gold mine of irony. “Hello, friend! I’m Little Bill,” it begins. “Sorry. I can’t play with you now. I have to stay in my room and think about what I did wrong.” In the book, Little Bill lies to his parents about why he was late for dinner: he says he got into a man’s van when really he was playing basketball. When his parents try to call the police, he admits his “big lie.”

It’s eerie, too, that Cosby’s book for children is not just about lying, but about making a false accusation, namely that some creepy man lured him into a van. It shows how much Cosby thinks that false allegations are not only possible, but routine — a fallacy that has been repeatedly debunked by experts. Yet Cosby has repeatedly accused his alleged victims of lying, and in November sued seven of them for defamation.
So Cosby was apparently making it look as though young children lie about situations that could involve child rapists? This is utterly head-shaking and sigh inducing. And it may not be the only irony in his past work for children. I did some research on his past products, and discovered an episode from Fat Albert titled "Spare the Rod", broadcast in 1979, that dealt with child abuse, and the girl who'd fallen victim to it here was being abused by her mother.

Back at the time it was originally produced, not many may have thought there was anything wrong with its viewpoint, since there are vile mothers who abuse their children just as much as vile fathers can. Yet when looked upon through the lens of the modern discoveries about Cosby's past misdeeds, one can rightly wonder if Cosby was trying to say that mothers are the real abusers, and not so much fathers. Which just goes to show how twisted his whole mindset is.

In any case, the series' impact has already been irreparably damaged, and it's already clear that it won't be widely viewed again in the forseeable future.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

    avigreen2002@yahoo.com See also my collection of Link in Bio pages: Realtime Website Traffic
      telchaidrawing

      I also contribute to

    • The Astute Bloggers
    • Infidel Bloggers Alliance
    • Which also includes (open menu)

      My other sites

    • The Four Color Media Monitor
    • The Comic Book Discrimination Dossiers
    • Hawkfan
    • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
    • The Outer Observatory
    • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
    • Puzzle Paradise
    • The Co-Stars Primer
    • Cinema Capsule Cavalcade
    • Food Diner
    • News/Opinion sites (open menu)

      Writers and special activity groups (open menu)

      Media Watchdogs (open menu)

      Columnist bloggers (open menu)

      Research on terrorism (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Israel and Asia (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Europe (open menu)

      Other bloggers: American continent (open menu)

      Museum sites (open menu)

      Bloggeries Blog Directory blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine View My Stats
    • W3 Counter stats
    • eXTReMe Tracker
      Locations of visitors to this page  
      Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

Tel-Chai Nation is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.