« Home | Anti-Zionist Jean-Luc Godard dies from assisted su... » | SCOTUS sides with Yeshiva University against attem... » | 21 years after 9-11, lessons still unlearned » | Germany's states becoming clogged to the brim with... » | House of a terrorist in Jenin demolished by IDF » | Bus attacked near Israeli border with Jordan » | Haredi factions refused to take part in WZO's sing... » | Islamofascists who decapitated victims » | Biden against 9-11 victims » | Muslim university writer in Australia calls for de... » 

Thursday, September 15, 2022 

It's important to remember kidnap victims like Elizabeth Smart

A number of months ago, Elizabeth Smart, who'd been kidnapped and raped by a homeless "street preacher" in Utah during 2002, and was fortunate to be rescued, gave interviews in Little Rock, Arkansas:
Elizabeth Smart: It's a name many of you probably remember or one you probably recognize.

Her case was one of the most followed child abduction cases in the early 2000's.

Now, she's sharing her story. Smart spoke in North Little Rock to a crowd filled with civilians and National Guard members on Friday morning.

"I'm pretty sure a lot of people will always look at me and be like, 'that's the girl that was kidnapped.' That's okay, but it doesn't actually define you. The decisions that you make, define who you are," she said.

That's the message Smart wants other survivors to learn from the trauma she endured nearly 20 years ago.

"I was in the most innocent of situations that you could be in. I was at home, I was asleep. I was woken from my sleep and it still happened to me, so it doesn't matter what you're doing. It's never your fault," she said.
I'm glad she's recovered over the years since this horrible incident that was tragically also made possible because of a law that was put into effect for a time stipulating that law enforcement could not check beneath veils (as one of the prosecutors made clear, the rapist "played the Muslim card"). But that's still no excuse for the police official who cowered turning away and remaining entirely within the boundaries of such an offensive law that was passed by a Democrat politician at the time.

While it's good to see Smart's been able to recover, I have to note that there's unfortunately ignoramuses out there who have no understanding, or couldn't care less, about what women and children like Smart went through, and worst, they even embrace products in entertainment that dishonor victims of sexual assault. I once knew an obnoxious man originally from California who'd moved to Utah on a message board in the early 2000s who'd actually driven close to the spot where Smart was rescued and her captors arrested, and told everyone on the forum traffic had been held up during that time. Bizarrely enough, he later embraced a gender-bigoted book that minimized rape, and said he was "happy" about it. How would Smart feel if she knew a man who'd been very close to the spot where police saved her had lenient positions on sexual assault? It may not be shocking. But what the creepy man I speak of did was still repellent and marks him as a hypocrite, to say nothing of somebody who deserves to be ostracized.

Let's hope Smart continues with the mission she's worked on since the time of her terrible experience in the past 2 decades, and stands up for victims of kidnapping/rape everywhere, including victims of Islamic rape.

Labels: , , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

    avigreen2002@yahoo.com See also my collection of Link in Bio pages: Realtime Website Traffic
      telchaidrawing

      I also contribute to

    • The Astute Bloggers
    • Infidel Bloggers Alliance
    • Which also includes (open menu)

      My other sites

    • The Four Color Media Monitor
    • The Comic Book Discrimination Dossiers
    • Hawkfan
    • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
    • The Outer Observatory
    • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
    • Puzzle Paradise
    • The Co-Stars Primer
    • Cinema Capsule Cavalcade
    • Food Diner
    • News/Opinion sites (open menu)

      Writers and special activity groups (open menu)

      Media Watchdogs (open menu)

      Columnist bloggers (open menu)

      Research on terrorism (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Israel and Asia (open menu)

      Other bloggers: Europe (open menu)

      Other bloggers: American continent (open menu)

      Museum sites (open menu)

      Bloggeries Blog Directory blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine View My Stats
    • W3 Counter stats
    • eXTReMe Tracker
      Locations of visitors to this page  
      Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

Tel-Chai Nation is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.